WHAT IS CHILL?
Chill is a positive youth development program where boardsports become a vehicle for empowerment.
Revolving around a core value-driven curriculum, Chill programs consist of experiential learning activities, reflection, and discussion, paired with board sport lessons. Chill’s six core values provide youth with a foundation and framework for learning and growth, supported and enhanced through on-board progression and adult mentorship. Chill removes all barriers to accessing boardsports by providing youth with everything they need to get after it, at absolutely no cost. New skills gained through boardsport progression and core-value exploration are then directly applied to everyday life, challenging youth to step out of their comfort zone – both on and off their board.
Experiential Learning Cycle
Everything we do at Chill revolves around providing experiences that lead to learning.
In our everyday lives we take part in all kinds of experiences, but it is the intentional selection of experiences that lead to growth. Therefore at Chill we strive to design and select our experiences with that intention in mind. What is an experience at Chill? Doing an icebreaker at the beginning of program, connecting with new people, taking part in the core value activity for the day, learning how to snowboard, skateboard, surf, or stand-up paddleboard!
1. Experience. An intentional experience that leads to growth: Taking part in the core value activity for the day or participating in the boardsport lesson.
2. Reflection. An opportunity to process the experience and debrief what happened. Reflection allows us to identify key learning concepts within the experience.
3. Transfer. The connection of these new concepts to our everyday lives. How do lessons learned on the mountain, in the water, at the skatepark relate to day-to-day experiences?
4. New Knowledge. The application of this new knowledge towards another experience, either at Chill or in our everyday lives. This is how we continue to grow and learn from our experiences, ultimately gaining a broadened perspective on life.
These are the pillars of our program, philosophy, and approach. While each of these values can look and feel slightly different to every person based on their own unique experiences, culture, and background, the following universal competencies reflect how we recognize and celebrate these values at Chill.
1. Respect: Recognizing and understanding differences in ability, background, and personhood.
2. Courage: Using and developing values that influence our decisions when faced with fear or a decision that tests our integrity.
3. Patience: Having the capacity to regulate reactions and emotions when results or gratitude is delayed.
4. Persistence: Visualizing the end goal and projecting the positive outcomes of enduring through adversity.
5. Responsibility: Having the ability to make choices and accept the reward or consequences of those choices.
6. Pride: Maintaining a positive and grounded sense of self through recognizing personal achievements, showing pride for our community and contributing to it’s the success.